Monday, December 9, 2013

Ice Leads to Treasure

Since living in the country, I have learned to be over prepared for any emergency. This past week we have had a rough introduction to Mr. Winter 2013. He has subjected us to a horrible ice storm, forcing us in our homes for four days. Luckily, I have learned to stock up and have enough food to last us a month. 

Chris decided to put stew on to cook in the crockpot, and what goes better with stew than cornbread?  Except this was the one thing I didn't have. 

Here's a little history lesson. I grew up eating Jiffy cornbread. It's probably the easiest thing you can fix from a box, but that's all I knew, and I loved it!

I looked through everything I had and realized that I had ingredients for what I thought could make cornbread but knew nothing about making it, so I turned to the internet, Pinterest to be exact, even though it had proven to let me down on several occasions. This time, however, I found a treasure. This is one of the best recipes for cornbread that I've ever tried. Keep in mind, since Jiffy is a sweet cornbread, that is the only kind I eat, but since you can make this from scratch, as always, you control the ingredients. You can add as much or as little sugar as you want. I wish I could take credit for this recipe but I cannot. I found it on a site called Blogging While Nursing and you can find it here

Or you can keep scrolling. 



SWEET CORNBREAD 

Ingredients

1        cup all-purpose flour
1        cup yellow cornmeal
2/3     cup sugar
1        Teaspoons salt
3 1/2  teaspoons baking powder
1        egg
1        cup milk
1/3     cup vegetable oil

Directions

1. Heat oven to 400 degrees F. 
2. Spray a 9 inch round cake pan. 
3. Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt, and baking powder into a bowl. 
4. Stir egg, milk, and oil into the dry ingredients until well blended. 
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a knife can be inserted into the middle and come out clean. 
6. Eat and enjoy. 






No comments:

Post a Comment